UPCOMING AT NEW YORK MUSIC DAILY
Here’s what’s on the slate, subject to change if there’s train trouble:
- The new Iggy Pop album! Or…sort of…
- Two of the greatest songwriters not named Elvis Costello. Both live in LA. The first hails from Connecticut via New York; the second represents an earlier generation of powerpop and comes from Chicago. If lyrics and tunesmithing mean something to you, keep an eye on this blog in the next week or so…
- This cello-wielding former member of one of the world’s most innovative string quartets has an intense new solo album out
- This purist delta blues guitarist made his debut album in a barn with a bunch of spatially placed mics to max out the psychedelic effect
- Time to catch up on some of the best summer concerts that haven’t been covered here yet: Middle Eastern music, a big jazz festival and a lot more. Hint: revisiting an old publicity stunt might be involved!
- This charismatic singer’s bringing rare, feral, centuries-old Afro-Venezuelan sounds to Queens’ best music venue
- This virtuoso alto saxophonist goes deeper than ever into his Hindustani roots
- The inventor of “cemetery and western” music returns to an old New York haunt just in time for Halloween
- In-demand NYC bassist puts a new album with a band who might have the funniest name in all of jazz. How funny is the music?