UPCOMING AT NEW YORK MUSIC DAILY
Here’s what’s on the slate, subject to change if there’s train trouble
- The most lush, lavish art-rock band in the world
- The Indian influence in this talented alto sax player/composer’s work is so subtle, you have to listen closely to notice it. At the same time, is it ever cafchy!
- This year’s Drive East Festival of Indian music opens with rare NYC shows from Indian sarod, sitar and carnatic vocal stars
- This female-fronted power trio are one of New York’s hottest acts right now
- The world’s most lavish, hauntingly improvisational Middle Eastern jazz band push away a storm with one of their own – they really did!
- A fearlessly political album from one of the world’s most distinctive interpreters of Thelonious Monk
- These German hellraisers bring world-class jazz chops to their wild, brass-fueled street band attack
- This inscrutable jazz chanteuse works a cool, mentholated persona and has a great, purist combo behind her
- New monthly live music calendar for New York and Brooklyn coming 9/1
- One of New York’s most fearlessly relevant up-and-coming songwriters tackles anti-immigrant racism, domestic violence and Trumpy status-grubbing without sounding strident or cliched