On any given day, the most popular post here is virtually always the constantly updated, monthly NYC Live Music Calendar. Some other very popular pages are the 50 Best Albums of 2012, 50 Best Albums of 2011, 100 Best Songs of 2012 and the 100 Best Songs of 2011. Otherwise, this regularly updated list probably says more about the people who frequent this site than it does about the site itself. Everybody seems to like the sad stuff: the three alltime most popular posts are an announcement that beloved East Village music venue Lakeside Lounge would be closing, and obituaries for well-loved powerpop singer Michal the Girl and Dimestore Dance Band violist Dylan Willemsa. Otherwise, here are the ten most popular writeups to date:
1. Ian Anderson at the Beacon Theatre, 10/11/13
The NYC live debut of Jethro Tull’s Thick As a Brick album was surprisingly good – and went viral.
2. SOJA – Strength to Survive album review
The roots reggae band got the thumbs up here but not all their fans agreed – and it went viral.
3. Amanda Palmer & the Grand Theft Orchestra – Theatre Is Evil album review
Her crowd loves her – and the album is solid. That you can get it for free doesn’t hurt.
4. Clairy Browne & the Bangin’ Rackettes at Webster Hall, 11/15/12
An auspicious New York debut by the sultry Australian oldschool soul singer and her tight band.
5. Closing Night at Lakeside Lounge, 4/30/12
The Roscoe Trio, Lenny Kaye and a host of downtown luminaries paid tribute to the club that defined East Village cool for over a decade.
6. Bahar Movahed at Symphony Space, 4/17/13
The Persian classical chanteuse’s exhilarating , haunting NYC debut
7. Guided by Voices – English Little League review
The rest of the blogosphere said this album was a dud but it got a rave review here. A little controversy…
8. Rob Teter at Zirzamin, 7/12/12
The former leader of Austin gypsy-rockers the Belleville Outfit with a monster pickup band featuring up-and-coming lead guitar powerhouse Ward Gardner.
9. Lake Street Dive at Madison Square Park, 7/31/13
A high-energy performance by the popular Boston soul/swing/retro rock band.
10. Clairy Browne & the Bangin’ Rackettes at Mercury Lounge, 3/26/13
A more intimate show with the Melbourne soul siren – popular, isn’t she!’